I used to have a pretty impressive movie club in Salt Lake City where dozens of people would come to my home on a Sunday evening to enjoy the finest in cinema. We’d start the night out by snacking on appetizers for about 30 minutes, then we’d sit down for a lovely pot-luck styled dinner. Once dinner ended, we’d cuddle up to a movie.
Movie Club was pretty weak in its infancy. In fact, my first Movie Club only brought in a couple people and we had a few technical difficulties. I really wanted to watch the 1966 foreign classic Persona, directed by Ingmar Bergman, but the file I downloaded didn’t have subtitles – argh. Now I know to check that everything is up and running before people start showing up… I think we ended up watching Dummy with Milla Jovovich and Adrien Brody instead. While the movie played, we cuddled up and enjoyed some yummy treats (and drinks, obvi.) At the end of the movie, I thought it would be fun to give everyone an opportunity to choose the next Movie Club movie. I passed out a 3×5 index card to everyone and had them write down a movie that they wanted to watch at the next Movie Club. All of the cards got thrown into a hat, and the next movie was decided through a drawing.
As Movie Club evolved, more and more people started showing up. I implemented various rules to keep it fun and interesting, but mostly to keep things on track. As the months moved on, Movie Club got to be pretty awesome and had a lot of participation. Here are the rules to movie club (so far):
- Movie Club takes place on the last Sunday of every month
- You must bring some type of food item for dinner (choose from main dish, appetizer, or dessert)
- You’ve gotta bring some kind of drink (6 pack of beer, a bottle of wine, jello shots, etc.)
- Arrive between 5:30 and 6:00
- Snacks and drinks begin at 5:30 and we sit down for dinner at 6:00
- The featured movie starts at 6:45 sharp
- While the movie plays, everyone gets to write down one suggestion for the next Movie Club movie on an index card
- All the entries go into a bucket
- The winner of this months movie (the movie we watched today) gets to draw from the bucket to see which movie will be featured next month
- All unchosen movie suggestions remain in the bucket for next drawing – that way, if you come to Movie Club often, your movie choices will more likely be chosen #statistics
- You must be present to win
My Movie Club is going to start up again on January 31st and I need your help choosing our first movie… Take the poll below and help me decide what to watch:
Do you live in the Portland area? Want to join my Movie Club? Hit me up, I’m easy to find.